Friday, June 30, 2017

Father of the bride.

One day you will stand in front of her. She will be dressed like her mother head to toe in her wedding gown. Even though she will be smiling for she had met the love of her life, her trembling hands which are nervously playing with the edge of her veil will tell a different story altogether. It will be in that moment you will question your whole parenthood. Have I done enough? Does she know how much I love here? Does she know how to take care of herself? Will she know self respect and to stand up for herself? Will she know how to love herself before loving someone else? Have I taught her enough? Is she ready for this? 
It will be at this point that you will remember the first smile she smiled, the first step she took, the first time she said I love you Baba. At this time you will remember the first fight you had with her, how angry you were how upset she was. She is so headstrong you might think but again she is so much like you, after all she is a true reflection of you. 
Now her mother is fixing her veil and they stare at each other, unspoken words, silent language and bond you never understood- she is so much like here mother you might think. When did we grow up, who is this lady in front of me you might think. Time has just passed you by and you are finding it hard to remember anything at all. Everyday you tried to remember them playing and dancing together and now you are standing thinking did I try enough? Could I have tried harder? Like sand time is slipping from your hands and only a few memories remain. 
Today you ask yourself once again- does she know how much I love her? Will she understand? Have I done enough for her to understand that she means the whole world to me. Have I treated her mother right for her to know how a woman needs to be treated and respected? Does she understand what and how a woman should be treated and has she picked the right man for herself who will know how to love her and respect her? Have I treated her well enough to know her place in this world? Have taught her how to be strong and walk away when it is needed? Have I taught her to be herself and accept nothing less of that? Have I taught her that her imperfections make her who she is, that it is ok to cry as long as she can learn to wipe her tears and fight her battles with a smile on her face and kindness in her heart? Have I taught her to challenge what's wrong and stand up for the right? Have taught  her that she could dress herself in rags and have the most fowl mouth but still be poised like a lady? Today you will ask yourself, have I been a good father. 
Now she turns around and looks at you for approval like she did with her first jump from the couch, like the first scribble of painting she made, like the first time she danced and your mind is drawing a blank because you don't know what to say? You want to tell her how beautiful she looks and how grown up she looks. She smiles and you know she understand you after all she is a reflection of you. 
She hold your hand and you remember her tiny fingers wrapped around you and you think, will her husband hold her hand, will he tell her he loves her? Is he like me? Do I want him to be like me? This is the day you will wonder -will he support my daughter no matter what? Will he speak to her softly and let her speak her mind? Will he encourage her to be herself? Will he defend her honor and reassure her at every step? Will he respect and treat her like she deserves? Today you will ask yourself will he love her more than I will because today will be the day you will hope that she has met someone who will love her more than you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pure Love.

My three month old son laughed for the first time today when I tickled his belly. I have been waiting for this day, the moment o...